Beyond Ultrasound Simulation
The patented SonoSimulator® is a proven-effective method to develop the hand-eye coordination required to perform ultrasonography. Instantly access thousands of pathologic training cases that take years of working in a hospital to encounter, acquire image acquisition and interpretation skills, learn with a virtual tutor, and get real-time feedback powered by AI.
SonoSim developed the world’s largest online library of patient cases with a broad spectrum of normal and pathologic conditions. Real-patient ultrasound cases are imported into a virtual environment powered by a graphics visualization engine. Learners practice hands-on scanning using the hand motion-sensing SonoSim Probe that plugs into the USB port of a laptop, thus replicating the exact tactile experience of using an actual ultrasound probe to scan a real patient.
Access Real Pathologic Cases
The Case List provides virtual access to a wide-ranging and growing SonoSim Case Library with real-patient cases and pathology.
Perform Clinical Decision Making
Integrate patient history & physical findings into clinical decision making with information such as age, vital signs, and chief complaint.
Change Body Positioning
The Body Position feature allows users to place the virtual patient in different positions that provide alternative viewer perspectives.
See Underlying Anatomy
Remove anatomic layers with the Layers feature to view how the ultrasound beam transects underlying anatomy.*
Ultrasound Image Acquisition Guidance
Follow the virtual Probe Guide to receive guidance in acquiring the optimal ultrasound image.
Expert Narrated Videos
With Findings video tutorials, expert instructors assist with interpreting the ultrasound image.
Hold the Compression button to compress the structure immediately beneath the transducer (e.g., compress a vein).*
Perform Ultrasound-Guided Procedures
The Needle procedure feature provides risk-free cognitive task training on ultrasound-guided needle-based procedures.*
Virtual Human Body
A 3-D human body model depicts dynamic anatomic structures of adult & pediatric and male & female bodies.
See Optimal Ultrasound Probe-Types
Learn which transducer (e.g., physical footprint) to use when performing an actual scan.
Virtual Ultrasound Array Beam
Learn how the array beam traverses anatomical structures to create the corresponding ultrasound image in the display window.
Ultrasound Window Acquisition
The ultrasound display window depicts images that correspond to probe movements with high fidelity and real-time performance.
Ultrasound Unit Display Window
An ultrasound display window simulates a real ultrasound unit, including the ability to modify image depth & gain; flip the probe indicator; freeze, save, & review obtained images; and measure anatomic structures.
Doppler enables learners to examine motion detection and blood flow characteristics through a variety of imaging modalities, including m-mode and power, color-flow, and pulsed-wave Doppler.*
Split Screen enables users to easily compare ultrasound findings and image characteristics with those provided by other imaging modalities (e.g., plain radiographs, CT, or MRI).*
*These advanced features are only included in specific SonoSim® Modules.
Ultrasound-Guided Procedure Training via the SonoSimulator
The SonoSimulator provides cognitive task training on a variety of ultrasound-guided needle based procedures. Develop hand-eye coordination in a safe environment and receive unlimited practice opportunities through the use of real patient-based virtual models and ultrasound simulation.
Move the Transducer & Localize a Target Vessel
Learn how to move an ultrasound transducer and localize a target vessel in short-axis and long-axis views.
Practice Correct Needle Entry Angle & Target Vessel Approach
Learn how to achieve optimal needle penetration of a target vessel under ultrasound guidance. Learn the critical task of how to localize the tip of the needle by fanning the virtual ultrasound probe in the appropriate direction.
Cannulate Target Vessels with In-Plane & Out-Of-Plane Approaches
Probe-positioning assistance (for Longitudinal and Transverse window acquisition) allows for virtual “hand-holding” during image acquisition.
Receive Immediate Performance Feedback Powered by AI
Specific, real-time feedback following each ultrasound-guided intervention attempt enables mastery.
The SonoSimulator is a validated and evidence-backed training solution. It has been proven to be as effective as a live instructor and provides unique benefits over live instruction and course-based learning. Train and assess large numbers of users in an automated way.
|Ultrasound Task||Performance Measure|
|Basic scanning procedures||121% Improvement|
|Window Interpretation||133% Improvement|
|Window Identification||474% Improvement|
|Diagnostic Interpretation||535% Improvement|
Schedule a Live Demonstration of the SonoSimulator
- Abu-Rustum R, Ziade M. The impact of simulation-based training in the Lebanese outreach setting. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017;50(Suppl 1):365.
- Adhikari SR, Samsel K, Irving S, et al. Can ultrasound naïve first-year medical students develop hands-on skills in image acquisition after reviewing online ultrasound modules? Paper presented at: AIUM 2018. Proceedings of The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Annual Convention; 2018 Mar 24-28; New York, New York.
- Bernard S, Richardson C, Hamann CR, et al. Head and neck ultrasound education-a multimodal educational approach in the predoctoral setting: a pilot study. J Ultrasound Med. 2015 Aug;34(8):1437-1443. doi: 10.7863/ultra.34.8.1437. PMID: 26206830.
- Chung GKWK, Gyllenhammer RG, Baker EL, et al. Effects of simulation-based practice on focused assessment with sonography for trauma (FAST) window identification, acquisition, and diagnosis. Mil Med. 2013 Oct;178(10 Suppl):87-97.
- Chung GKWK, Gyllenhammer RG, Baker EL. The effects of practicing with a virtual ultrasound trainer on FAST window identification, acquisition, and diagnosis (CRESST Report 787). Los Angeles: University of California, Los Angeles, National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST); 2011.
- Iseli MR, Lee JJ, Schenke K, et al. Ultrasound training for the military health system: design and validation of user performance models for fundamentals of ultrasound. Los Angeles: National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST); 2019.
- Lewiss RE, Hayden GE, Murray A, et al. SonoGames: an innovative approach to emergency medicine resident ultrasound education. J Ultrasound Med. 2014 Oct;33(10):1843-1849.
- Maw A, Jalali C, Jannat-Khah D, et al. Faculty development in point of care ultrasound for internists. Med Educ Online. 2017 Jan;21(1):1-4.
- Monti JD, Perreault MD. Impact of a 4-hour introductory efast training intervention among ultrasound-naïve U.S. military medics. Mil Med. 2020 Jun 8;185(5-6):e601-e608. doi: 10.1093/milmed/usaa014.
- Paddock MT, Bailitz J, Horowitz R, et al. Disaster response team FAST skills training with a portable ultrasound simulator compared to traditional training: pilot study. West J Emerg Med. 2015 Mar;16(2):325-330.
- Garlaschi, Neumaier C, Torre. From bedside to pc-side: challenges in learning and teaching ultrasound. The hands-on simulation experience of the medical students of the University of Genoa. Oral presentation presented at: 22nd Society in Europe for Simulation Applied to Medicine Annual Congress; 2016 Jun 15-17; Lisbon, Portugal.
Experience SonoSimulation®, the process through which real patient ultrasound data is converted into laptop-based, personalized ultrasound training solution.